THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ OUR DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
As part of our outfitting process, we replaced our anchor chain with longer, stronger, and lighter anchor chain. This meants we had to replace our windlass gypsy too so that it would work with the new size of anchor chain.
Our windlass is a Quick Dylan electric windlass which we’ve been very happy with since 2014.
- If it is an electric windlass, disconnect it from the power source.
- Remove clutch bush. We use our universal deck key from Mantus, or you can use a winch handle.
- Slid the winch drum up and off.
- Lift the chain fall cover.
- Remove the screws using a hex key or Allen wrench. Put them aside to reuse with the new gypsy.
- Wedge open the pressure lever.
- Pull the gypsy up and off.
- Use a toothbrush (or paintbrush, or cloth….) to apply marine grease to both sides of the new gypsy.
- Grease the shaft thread.
- Refer to your owner’s manual to make sure you install the gypsy right-side-up.
- Re-install screws.
- Put the drum back on the shaft.
- Reinstall clutch bush.
- Reconnect the power and test.