THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ OUR DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
Plans have a way of changing when living on a sailboat, but our plans have been especially fluid over the last 72 hours.
We had cleared out of Bora Bora on Wednesday with the intention of leaving Thursday to take advantage of a weather window to sail to Niue. However, apparently clearing out of Bora Bora isn’t a one stop shop and required us to email copies of the stamped forms to an office in Tahiti who would then email us our final clearance document. It can be difficult to comprehend sitting, as I imagine you are, behind a desk or using your phone with access to high speed internet, just how frustrating a task sending a simple email can be. We sat for almost an hour and a half, with freshly bought groceries wilting in our bags, trying to upload 1 megabyte worth of documents. Yes, you read that right. One MEGABYTE!! Eventually, we ran out of daylight so we had to head back to Starry Horizons, cursing the internet gods.
Thursday morning, we came back in and got the email sent. But I was quite sure there would be no way we’d get the necessary email back in time for us to leave on Thursday and thus make the weather window. So instead, we decided to leave and head to another island close by called Maupiti, where there was supposedly wifi in the anchorage. There we could wait until we received the email and another weather window opened up.
Well… we sailed to Maupiti and just as we arrived the winds kicked up and there was a massive swell at the entrance to the pass. So big in fact, that neither Amy or I felt comfortable trying to enter. We can’t sail back to Bora Bora, can’t enter Maupiti, so what do we do? Decide to just keep on going and take advantage of the original weather window.
Now, I could end the story here and I’m sure it’d already be enough to leave you shaking your head in amazement. (You are shaking your head in amazement right???) But the weather window we left to take advantage of appears to be slamming shut well before we would arrive in Niue. A complete dead zone is going to appear right where we need to go sometime on Wednesday and hang around for almost 48 hours.
So instead of Niue, we’re hoping we can make a small atoll called Beveridge Reef before the wind completely dies, or at least with a minimal amount of motoring. There we’ll hang out until the wind picks back up again and we can finish sailing to Niue.
Oh, and that clearance paper we need? My awesome sister has been checking my email for it with no sign as of yet. Fingers crossed French Polynesia gets their act together in time.